[time-nuts] Re: HP Z3801A project update

ed breya eb at telight.com
Thu Feb 24 23:24:30 UTC 2022

Paul,I'm using the old HP SatStat program. It's plenty good enough for
my simple needs. I also found I have a bunch of old stuff from over ten
years ago, while organizing the older PCs and consolidating backup
files. The original Motorola WinOncore program is included. This can
talk to the RXs directly, but I don't think it can when the RX is
installed in the 3801A. I think there are enough layers in between, that
you have to use SatStat only with the 3801A, and WinOncore only for
stand-alone RX operation. I actually have a piece of an original
Motorola demo/testing unit, which has the RX board mounting and
connection, and RS-232 interface and such to run it. I'm pretty sure I
have the instructions and schematic for it somewhere, and even the metal
box it went into, but not found yet. Eventually I'll be able to rig up a
deal to plug the same DB-9 M connector into it or the 3801A, depending
on the situation.

Looking a little at the WinOncore manual, it seems like you can get much
deeper into the RX control and operation. I can't remember if I ever had
it set up and running like this years ago. I think I was going to, but
then dropped it when I got the Z3801A.

Ed