[time-nuts] Re: : NRCan PPP Observations

Tom Wallace thomas.h.wallace at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 18:55:41 UTC 2022

Skip,

I take back my previous comments; I think you may have located an issue
with the use of NRCan PPP processing for time transfer. From your earlier
description, I thought you were seeing the usual day boundary
discontinuities. These can be reduced (usually to below 0.5 ns) by the
subtraction trick I mentioned earlier.

However, the pictures of multi-day plots using NRCan ultrarapid data in
your last post clearly have jumps that are *not* at day boundaries. Out of
curiosity, I grabbed the past 4 days of data from USN7 and AMC4, and sent
them to NRCan. I saw something very similar.

The attached plot shows discontinuities, some larger than 1 ns, at places
other than 00:00 UT. Even worse, the jumps for USN7 and AMC4 are in
opposite directions, so the subtraction trick would make the discontinuity
worse; the glitch late in the day on 24 July would be about 2 ns!

I do *not* see this when I process the same data against IGS ultrarapid
.sp3s using gLAB; with those results I have about +/- 0.5 ns variation in
the clock offset difference between USN7 and AMC4 across the 4 days.

When I set up the gLAB processing , I checked a lot of my results against
NRCan, and did not see anything like today's NRCan jumps. However, that was
before their transition to version 3 of their software in late 2020. It
certainly looks like they have made a change that causes issues for time
transfer.

 -- Tom Wallace