[time-nuts] Re: 5061A HV Supply, et al. {External}

Jim Muehlberg jmuehlbe at nrao.edu
Wed Nov 30 19:52:45 UTC 2022

OK, after an 11 day hiatus, there is no change in ion pump current.
Still very low (1 uA?) in "CS OFF". Switching to another mode (any)
causes the pump current to increase and the A18 output to fold over,
then it recovers and keeps doing this at about a 5 second period.  The
monitor point reaches about 1.2 V before folding back.

So, I found a little laser HV supply that puts out 1250V at 4mA.  So, I
thought I'd attach that.  On my homemade 172 MOhm Divider, the voltage
turned out to be much higher, around 7kV!  Which I only found out after
connecting to the tube.  Hopefully, that didn't kill it.  It drew about
50 uA at this voltage.  I ended up leaving for a few minutes before I
realized what was going on, since I couldn't believe the reading from my
divider.

In any event, after reconnecting the A18, ion pump current is very low
again, but this time the monitor point stays up at around 4V with the
clock in "LOOP OPEN".  It no longer folds back at all.

Recall it has no divider module so I'm not sure monitor points are
useful, but most are dead, except Supply, Ion Pump I, Osc Oven, CS
oven.  There is a tiny bit of Beam current.

Next steps?  Did I kill it?  I may have access to a divider module...

Jim

--
Jim