[time-nuts] Re: Do time nuts only use and measure 10MHz clocks?

Erik Kaashoek erik at kaashoek.com
Fri Oct 7 16:26:41 UTC 2022

Yes, I took inspiration from Andrew's design, although using substantial
less HW power.
After implementing the ability to have two different input clocks I
discovered (yes, I could have known before implementing) that as soon as
you use two different frequencies for the two LO's, used for down mixing
to the ADC input , you loose coherence, even if they are derived from
the same clock, because they mix different frequencies into a common IF
frequency so the difference in LO frequencies causes different impact of
the phase noise into the IF frequency.
So, different input frequencies for ref and DUT are possible but the
resolution is destroyed by the phase noise of the internal reference
TCXO. Maybe I could use the ref input as reference for the internal PLL
to eliminate the TCXO, something to test.
Erik.