[time-nuts] Re: Do time nuts only use and measure 10MHz clocks?

Erik Kaashoek erik at kaashoek.com
Sun Oct 9 06:13:54 UTC 2022

Corby,

I'm struggling to understand.
Suppose the single internal reference of a DMTD is 10MHz and 0.1Hz high
due to phase noise
Now take two inputs, one at 10MHz, 0.3Hz high and one at 20MHz, 0.4Hz high
For simplicity assume the internal IF is zero Hz so we can have negative
frequencies.
The 10MHz input gets mixed with the internal reference producing
negative 0.2 Hz
The 20Mhz input gets mixed with two times the single internal reference,
resulting in 2 * 10Mhz at 2 * 0.1Hz to high being 20MHz at 0.2Hz high
and after mixing this results also in a negative 0.2Hz.
The measured difference between the two input signals is now zero Hz.
How can I remove the offset of the internal reference to get to the
actual 0.1Hz difference when the phase noise is multiplied with
different factors because the need to match the different frequencies of
the two inputs?
Erik.