[time-nuts] Dr Kinali

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.se
Wed Oct 12 09:53:17 UTC 2022

Dear fellow time-nuts,

I just saw the PhD defense of Attila Kinali, which was succsessful and
render him being Dr. Kinali.

It is interesting in that it shows that the Fourier transform
traditionally used in engineering is not properly done as viewed in
mathematical strictness. Through the formalism of math he redefines a
Fourier transform that does work in a mathematical sense while being
consistent with the traditional one and hence useful. The key issue is
that some functions tend to integrate to infinity while they are in fact
power limited, so it's only the length of integration that scales them
to infinity. This is where engineering use cheats but a math strict
approach cannot cheat.

He also visited a look at noise models and how these affect predicitions
of noise of out amplifiers, with illustrations on how that now is used
to better model actual noise performance.

Further he analysed meta stability of digital circuits and discussed those.

Overall an impressive thesis, not to say there is not to research on, as
there is and several topics was discussed durign the defense, as it should.

Congratulations! Very well executed and performed!

Had conditions been better, I would have been physically present as
originally planned.

Cheers,
Magnus