[time-nuts] Re: 3-Cornered Hat fails with negative variances, is there anything I can to to improve?

Erik Kaashoek erik at kaashoek.com
Sun Oct 16 19:39:15 UTC 2022

Jim
I'm not able to access the paper as I'm not an IEEE member.
And the math probably will be way over my head anyway.
Do I understand correctly that for testing one should next to something
like the ADEV of the counter noise, also measure the histogram to check if
the noise is gaussian and the PSD to check for hidden frequencies in the
noise?

If the three phase relations are measured simultaneously and the 3
equations solved to calculate A, B and C. Would calculating the ADEV of A,B
and C not eliminate the noise of the measurement device?
Keep in mind it's been a very long time since I studied statistics.
Erik