[time-nuts] Re: 3-Cornered Hat fails with negative variances, is there anything I can to to improve?

AC0XU (Jim) James.Schatzman at ac0xu.com
Mon Oct 17 00:06:30 UTC 2022

Erik-

Measuring simultaneously just guarantees that the measurements between the pairs A-B, B-C, A-C are consistent (so you might as well make only two measurements). For example, if you measure A-B and A-C this way, you can combine the measurements to get an estimate of B-C stability that is independent of A's stability. This does not strike me as particularly useful however. Why not just measure B-C directly? Regardless - each phase, frequency or time measurement has associated measurement error and uncertainty.

Suppose one of the time/frequency references A is much more stable than the other two. B and C Then the Tri-Cornered Hat estimates for B and C will be reasonably accurate. However, any attempt to estimate stability of A  with Tri-Cornered hat is doomed. You can easily get negative variance estimates.

Suppose A and B are much more stable than C. Then the Tri-Cornered Hat estimate of C's stability may be more accurate than if you used A-C or B-C alone, because in a statistical sense you are averaging together two stable references to synthesize an even more stable one. The accuracy of the A-C relative stability will depend on how similar A and B are.

If all three references have about the same stability, then the Tri-Cornered Hat estimates would usually be not terrible. The estimate uncertainties depend on the measurement uncertainties.

The above statistical ideas assume that the references have perfectly stable phase plus a random instability, and that that random instabilities of the three references are statistically independent. Otherwise, Tri-Cornered Hat doesn't work well at all. For example, if your three references are proximal, then temperature fluctuations will cause correlated frequency perturbations. I have noticed this effect with OCXOs and rubidium oscillators when the ceiling fan in my lab cycles on and off.

In the second paper I showed that Groslambert estimates are not generally better than Tri-Cornered Hat or the N-reference equivalent thereof. And that is one conclusion from all this - the more references, the better.

Jim