[time-nuts] Re: BOAT

David Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Oct 21 15:03:21 UTC 2022

On 21/10/2022 13:16, Bob kb8tq via time-nuts wrote:
> Hi
>
> Earlier this month a gamma event occurred that now has the name BOAT ( Biggest Of All Time ).
>
> https://phys.org/news/2022-10-record-breaking-gamma-ray-possibly-powerful-explosion.html  <https://phys.org/news/2022-10-record-breaking-gamma-ray-possibly-powerful-explosion.html>
>
> It did have a measured impact on propagation:
>
> https://spaceweatherarchive.com/2022/10/17/powerful-gamma-ray-burst-made-currents-flow-in-the-earth/  <https://spaceweatherarchive.com/2022/10/17/powerful-gamma-ray-burst-made-currents-flow-in-the-earth/>
>
> The question is, did it impact GNSS systems and the delivery of time? Was there a “glitch”
> observed as a result? So far, I have not seen any mention of a timing ( or a nav ) issue.
>
> Bob

I recall seeing this mentioned at the time, but I didn't see any effects here
in Edinburgh - at least according to what my u-blox MAX-M8Q-0-10 reported.  I
keep an eye on SNR and DOP:

   https://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/performance_gps_dop.php

but with the event being a week ago only 2-hour average data now remains.

The Phys.org site doesn't allow a cookie opt-out, which I don't like.

The time is mentioned just as "early in the morning".  What time zone might
that be?  UTC?  It gives a date of October 14.  Am I misreading that?

The spaceweather site says October-09?  At least the time on the graph is in UTC.

Two different events?

Cheers,
David
Web: https://www.satsignal.eu