[time-nuts] Re: What phase variations to expect in a DMTD due to temperature fluctuations?

jeanmichel.friedt at femto-st.fr jeanmichel.friedt at femto-st.fr
Mon Oct 24 05:19:42 UTC 2022

> The down converted input signals are converted to digital using an ADC. The
> rest is DSP. No digital circuit triggering timers. Can the clock of the MCU
> still have an impact? For sure the clock of the ADC can have an impact.

I realized when completing http://jmfriedt.free.fr/ifcs2021.pdf that the only
clock that matters in Software Defined Radio is the ADC clock which timestamps
each and every sample, from which subsequent digital processing can recover the
acquisition time. The digital processing system can be asynchronous, buffered, pipelined
but the latency between acquisition and processing will not matter in an open
loop analysis of the radiofrequency data. In the cited work we mistakenly believed
initially that the CPU clock had to be steered, before realizing it was only the clock
referencing the ADC (and the FPGA) that mattered.

Best, JM