[time-nuts] Re: What phase variations to expect in a DMTD due to temperature fluctuations?

Carsten Andrich carsten.andrich at tu-ilmenau.de
Mon Oct 24 08:10:27 UTC 2022

Hi Erik,

only the ADC clock should matter and the used ADC should be of the
simultaneous sampling type. If it's not, its multiplexer may have a
detrimental temperature-dependent effect on the phase measurement.

I've implemented a fully digital DMTD using USRP N210 with LFRX
daughterboards [1]. To analyze stability of the system itself, I
compared a split 10 MHz signal. Over the course of 4 days, the measured
standard deviation was 359 fs [1, Fig. 11]. I don't have temperature
measurements available, but the lab wasn't air conditioned, populated,
and diurnal difference between two SRS FS725 was clearly observable
(another measurement not in the paper).

The high stability could be explained by the N210's dual-channel ADC
that directly sampled both 10 MHz signals. I believe, temperature
differences between the preceding analog components (most importantly
the LFRX daughterboard) probably have a very limited effect on account
of the negligible relative bandwidth of the measured 10 MHz signals'
true frequency (a few (dozen) mHz vs. 10 MHz). If the 10 MHz were
down-mixed to a few Hz in the analog domain, the relative bandwidth
would increase substantially. Of course, that's just an educated guess.
I did not investigate temperature stability when I wrote the paper.

Best regards,
Carsten

[1] https://arxiv.org/pdf/1803.01438.pdf