[time-nuts] Re: What phase variations to expect in a DMTD due to temperature fluctuations?

Erik Kaashoek erik at kaashoek.com
Mon Oct 24 13:35:51 UTC 2022

Hi Carsten

Thanks for the very interesting article. As my DMTD uses an audio ADC,
the 10MHz inputs first have to be down mixed to the selected audio IF.
This probably will add to long term instability.
Although in the article "Measurement of Phase Difference Using DSP
Algorithms by Non-Coherent Sampling" by Michal Krumpholc and Milos
Sedlacek it is explained that DFT is not an optimal choice for a DMTD, I
decided to use DFT. This because a bit true simulation showed the impact
of the spectral leakage to be below the performance ambition and using
all samples reduced noise. Also a PLL is used to sync the sampling with
the reference input to reduce the worst impact of the non-coherent
sampling.
In your "DSP for Sine Wave Reference Signals " method you only have one
NCO, how do you avoid the non-coherent sampling and spectral leakage
problem with two non coherent inputs?
In my measurements there is a clear difference in noise between using
coherent inputs (e.g. single clock send to both inputs) and non coherent
inputs, even if the frequency difference is in the order of 10 micro
Hertz, but this could be due to the noise from the DDS used to generate
the dual signals with very small frequency differences. As I have no
access to very stable clocks the DDS is the only tool I can use for
stability measurements.
Erik.