[time-nuts] Re: What phase variations to expect in a DMTD due to temperature fluctuations?

Carsten Andrich carsten.andrich at tu-ilmenau.de
Tue Oct 25 07:43:56 UTC 2022

Hi Erik,

spectral leakage only occurs with the DFT due to its implicit
rectangular window applied to the input samples. The appeal of the
digital down conversion (DDC) implemented with the NCO is that coherence
does not matter and spectral leakage does not occur. It's simply a
perfect, digital implementation of the down mixing you perform in the
analog domain. Its purpose is to shift the frequency of the signal to
enable reduction of the sample rate to reasonable levels (a few kSa/s
instead of >= 25 MSa/s) via decimation. The decimation can also be seen
as averaging, so this approach also uses every available sample.

Additionally, the use of complex down-conversion enables straightforward
phase estimates. Relative to the sampling clock by taking the phase
angle of the complex samples of a single channel. Between two channels
by taking the phase angle of fraction of two channels' complex samples.
If you unwrap the phase angles and apply linear regression, you can
compute the average frequency difference.

Best regards,
Carsten