[time-nuts] Re: What phase variations to expect in a DMTD due to temperature fluctuations?

Erik Kaashoek erik at kaashoek.com
Tue Oct 25 10:54:50 UTC 2022

Hi Carsten,
In my DMTD I use a PLL to lock the LO of the analog down mixers to the
reference input. In the digital domain the I/Q mixer has a fixed LO
converting to an fb of zero Hz (kept at zero with the PLL) and the
output of the mixer is averaged as decimation.
This should (I hope) also avoid spectral leakage, just like you did with
the NCO. I've tested this by adding/removing a window function and this
did not make any difference, as long as the fb was kept at zero Hz. The
further processing is done as you describe in the second part of your
reaction.
The problem with my DMTD seems to be not spectral leakage but the
limited isolation between the two inputs (only about 80dB isolation) so
the DUT input leaks into the REF input and because the frequency
difference is small the downconverted DUT leakage is not filtered out by
the averaging. Adding/removing the windowing did not make any difference
for this DUT leakage.
But as the leakage is linear it may be possible to model the leakage and
compensate for it.
Erik.