[time-nuts] Re: What phase variations to expect in a DMTD due to temperature fluctuations?

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Mon Oct 24 08:33:57 UTC 2022

 > Are these levels to be expected?

I'd say 1 ps / C is fine, but the 10 ps number seems high so you may
want to identify the source of that. For some context look at the specs
of a metrology grade distribution amp:

https://spectradynamics.com/products/hpda-15rmi-high-performance-distribution-amplifier-1-50mhz/

Its tempco spec is 1.5 ps/C, which sounds good enough for a professional
timing lab to me. Even if you had 3 C modulation of temperature that's
under 5e-15 @1000 s so it would be in the noise. And if better
performance was required you can simply keep the room to 0.3 C instead
of 3 C. That way everything in your lab -- cables, connectors, power
supplies, oscillator references, measurement instruments -- improves
accordingly.

Another example is John Miles' TimePod [1] and PhaseStation [2]. Note
these are not spec'd explicitly in ps/C but rather ps/hour. I had not
seen that before.

/tvb

[1] https://www.miles.io/TimePod_5330A_user_manual.pdf

[2]