[time-nuts] Re: Phase Noise Measurement in Dallas

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Thu Oct 27 14:46:03 UTC 2022

Hi

Having measured a number of similar ( = same part number ) OCXO’s….
It’s a pretty good bet that the phase noise is in the -110 to -115 range at
1 Hz offset.

Without the “deep dive” into this or that, there is no real way of knowing
what impact a 1 Hz phase noise or 10 second ADEV (or any) number will have.
It could be several orders of magnitude better than something else in the
system.

As you divide frequency, the phase noise gets better. It should improve by
20 log N where N is the divider. Divide 10 MHz to 1 MHz with a chip and
phase noise gets 20 db better. Your -114 number is now -134. In an ideal
world with perfect parts, it would just keep getting better the more you divide.

The world is never that simple.  Chips are never noiseless. They always have
noise floors on the output stages and various other noise sources. Once you
hit this or that limit, the chip is what you worry about and not the reference source.
In a PLL, this can pop up pretty fast.

While we talk about ADEV ( or any DEV ) and phase noise being independent
measures, they really aren’t. Back in the day, gear that measured phase
noise typically became impractical below 1 Hz ( = it took a very long time
to get data). Folks switched over to an ADEV measure mainly because the
process was more practical. These days, an ADEV at 0.001 seconds is doable.
If you have enough time, phase noise at 0.01 Hz can be done ( = it still takes
a long time ….).  Oddly enough, while phase noise improves by 20 log N when
you divide, ADEV does not change.

As Magnus points out, you may be able to start at the “far end” of the system
and come up with estimates of what might matter.  It’s always better to spend
hard earned cash on whatever the weak link is :)

Bob