[time-nuts] Re: tinyPFA feature request

Stewart Cobb stewart.cobb at gmail.com
Sun Aug 20 01:58:47 UTC 2023

After finding and analyzing the schematic for the NanoVNA-H4, which is the
underlying hardware for the tinyPFA, I now realize that my requested
feature is impossible. The hardware is extremely narrowband. It only
digitizes signals within a few kHz of the selected frequency. Therefore, it
can't simultaneously receive (say) 5 and 10 MHz. To do that, it would need
wideband digitizers, such as are found in the (much more expensive) TimePod
and PhaseStation designed by John Miles. The tinyPFA is a very clever reuse
of existing inexpensive hardware, but it does have limitations.

Cheers!
--Stu