[time-nuts] Re: Spectracom 9383 and Software Project

Chris Quayle syseng at gfsys.co.uk
Mon Aug 28 17:30:03 UTC 2023

On 8/26/23 15:06, timenuts at vlh.dk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a 9383 with GPS and OCXO, I did plan to open it up during my vacation
> in 2 weeks time - to do a backup of the CF-card (and to change root and
> factory passwords instead of trying to crack those with JohnTheRipper), and
> to change the battery; I can take a few pictures of the internals of my
> unit.
>
> I don't know if serialnumber, core version, appl version from the system log
> from last boot can tell you anything about what GPS-module it might be?
>
> Jan 1 00:00:01 chronos spectracom: [system] Unit Started.
> Jan 1 00:00:01 chronos spectracom: [system] Spectracom Corp. Model hs92XX
> Jan 1 00:00:01 chronos spectracom: [system] Software Version 3.6.7 Date:
> 10/24/2014
> Jan 1 00:00:01 chronos spectracom: [system] IRIG Version 9.02
> Jan 1 00:00:01 chronos spectracom: [system] Serial Port 1 Version 2.03
> Jan 1 00:00:01 chronos spectracom: [system] Serial Port 2 Version 2.03
> Jan 1 00:00:01 chronos spectracom: [system] Remote Port 1 Version 2.03
> Jan 1 00:00:01 chronos spectracom: [system] Remote Port 2 Version 2.03
> Jan 1 00:00:02 chronos spectracom: [system] GPS Serial Number: 81408569
> 06/14/2010
> Jan 1 00:00:02 chronos spectracom: [system] GPS Appl Version: 1.20
> 04/21/2010
> Jan 1 00:00:02 chronos spectracom: [system] GPS Core Version: 1.26
> 04/21/2010
> Jan 1 00:00:02 chronos spectracom: [system] GPS Serial Number: 81408569
> 06/14/2010
> Jan 1 00:00:04 chronos spectracom: [system] GPS Startup or Reset
> Jan 1 00:00:09 chronos spectracom: [system] Clock time source changed to GPS
> Jan 1 00:03:12 chronos spectracom: [system] Clock entering sync.
>

> Regards,
> Kim Sindalsen

Hi Kim,

Thanks for that. I did a bit more work over the weekend. Made a dd
image of the cf card, then wrote another from that, to verify that
it was working. Although the original card says 256mb, a copy runs
out of space, so used a 512mb card, which works fine.

Have an old laptop running Suse 11.4, which has an excellent disk
utility. Using that, had a look at the card contents. Turns
out to be running Vile Linux 2.5, with the file system EXT3, all
on a single partition. Using chroot, changed the root password,
and using the onboard video and keyboard, was able to log in as
root, then have a look at what else is in the system.et me know if
you need copies of the original and unrooted images. Tried, but
too large to send as an attachment.

What I really need is to find out the vendor and model number
of the GPS module, so some closeup photos would help. The
module is plugin under 4 screws, so if possible, a photo of
the underside would help as well. Mine has the cheapest tcxo
oscillator, not good for a test gear reference, so if yours
is a higher spec, a photo and part number would help.
There are several oscillator footprints on the m/b and should
be easy to replace the existing unit, providing a compatable
replacement can be found...

Regards,

Chris