[time-nuts] Re: CTI OSC5A2B02 OXCO testing

Bart bart at pa7elf.nl
Sun Jun 4 16:59:49 UTC 2023

Hi fellow time nuts,

I recently did a design around the CTI OSC5A2B02

For the tuning voltage I use a LT1029 or LM336 Z5, 5 Volt shunt regulator. Both have a nearly flat tempco.

I measured the input current of the Vref pin and it is very very low  < 0.1 μA, so I don't expect any trouble using a potentiometer after the shunt regulator as a means for  tuning the OXCO. I used a 25 stroke Bourns trimmer which is no luxere. While calibrating the OSC5A2B02 with a GPSDO and a a good old fashioned analog HP phase meter, I needed to make really tiny shifts with the trimmer to get the OCXO in phase with the GPSDO. I timed it at more than 100 seconds for a whole 360 degree cycle, which is satisfactory for my needs and more or less the accuracy ;limit of this particular OCXO.

I also did some rudimentary calculations on the heat management of the the two cascaded linear step down voltage convertors I use for the main power supply for the OSC5A2B02 and the shunt regulator.

You can find the whole story of my design on my Ham Wiki: https://www.pa7elf.nl/en:projects:10_MHz_ocxo_frequency_reference

You can find the schematics @:  https://www.pa7elf.nl/_media/nl:projects:PA7ELF_frequency_reference_with_10_mhz_oven_crystal.pdf

Let me know what you think.

Bart