[time-nuts] Re: Creating a D.I.Y Rubidium Atomic Clock

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.se
Wed Jun 7 23:20:54 UTC 2023

Hi Leo,

So, the setup is very straight forward. You put the Rb-lamp, the filter,
the Rb resonance cell all lined up in a straight path and at the far end
of that you have a photo-detector. The resonance cell you want to keep
magnetically shielded, which is typically done by one or more (I have
clocks with 3) layers of mu-metal. You have a coil, called C-field coil,
through which a DC current creates a magnetic field that separates the 5
Rb resonances so that only the (1,0)->(2,0) absorption occurs, which is
detected by a thad lower intensity of the pump light.

Look at Tom's email and I strongly suggest you get "Rubidium Frequency
Standard Primer" of William J. Riley which has a lot of info in it
covering a lot of the things that goes into it. This includes a lot of
photo of the actual inner parts of the rubidium clocks. There is more
material to gather, but already that book will answer a lot of things
for you and summarizes a lot of stuff in a very condensed and straight
forward way.

Cheers,
Magnus