[time-nuts] Re: HP 5061Bs on ebay

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Jun 16 00:45:09 UTC 2023

Hi

Yet another layer to this will always be “what’s the objective?”.

If the goal is simply to have a Cs and play with it, then indeed the 5061 is a good
target. Going after a 5071 is a step up in cost. There is no problem with this being
the objective.

If the goal is some level of accuracy / stability / ADEV then this gets more way
more complex. Some form of disciplined Rb quickly makes its way onto the list
of things you look at. Even with a GPS (and it’s cost) attached, the Rb likely will
be competitive both in terms of cost and performance. Rb’s wear out, but the
typical used item likely lasts longer than a used Cs.

Lots of choices.

Bob