[time-nuts] Re: New GNSS Antenna Splitter Available

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Wed Jun 28 21:59:24 UTC 2023

John Ackermann N8UR via time-nuts <time-nuts at lists.febo.com> writes:

> Hi Neal --
>
> Prices have come down in the last year or two.
>
> u-blox has a multiband mag-mount antenna for about $60:
> https://www.u-blox.com/en/product/ann-mb-series

I have used these two for RTK and they seem to work well:

  https://www.sparkfun.com/products/17751

  https://www.ardusimple.com/product/calibrated-survey-gnss-multiband-antenna-ip67/

I have not tried, but would expect it to work based on NGS calibration
and the performance of the 2-band ardusimple antenna:

  https://www.ardusimple.com/product/calibrated-survey-gnss-quadband-antenna-ip67/

And yes, $230 for a L1/L2/L5 antenna with an NGS cal file is in fact
"low cost".  I'm not sure what Neal is expecting.  A professional
geodetic antenna is vastly more.

There are also lower cost antennas without cal files.  If you are using
an F9P for RTK, you should understand that you can't use the cal file.
But if you process with OPUS and I think with CSRS-PPP, you can.