[time-nuts] Re: Synergy / iLotus M12M Firmware

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon Mar 20 16:22:31 UTC 2023

Hi

I think you will find that many outfits went over to some sort of “future proof” setup
in the last 10 years.

Getting firmware updates for *any* module after a decade or two is difficult for an
individual. Even as an OEM with all the “official” ways to do it, it can be difficult.

The same is true of updates for a variety of GPS based gear, modules are not at
all unique in this regard.

To a degree changes in the silicon are at the root of a lot of this. They change
the chip  / chips in one way or another. Now the firmware for the “old” gear is unique
to that generation. They simply stop the updates rather than put (the significant)
money into the process.

Bob