[volt-nuts] HP 3457A Arrived

Joseph Gray jgray at zianet.com
Wed Aug 21 19:34:02 EDT 2013

Boy, I have the worst of luck. I think Murphy follows me around. I won't
bore you with the details about my recently dropped by Fedex service
monitor and major repair cost.

The 3457A arrived. Other than missing feet, it looked in decent condition.
I powered it up and that is when things went wrong.

The first several times, on power up, I got the Address display and the
beep, but instead of going to DCV, it displayed PASSED, with an occasional
FAILED. It would do this seemingly forever.

Once, it powered up normally, then froze. Another time, it powered up
normally and I managed to read the error code (1 - Hardware error) and the
auxilliarly error (1 - Isolation error durring normal operation).

Later, it would power up and immediately display FAILED. At this time, I
happened to lift the front of the cabinet and saw that FAILED and PASSED
would randomly alternate on the display. Something is definitely loose.

I would have already opened the DMM up, except the seller applied
anti-tamper labels to the case screws (I have a 30 day warranty). I have
sent all of this information to the seller. Hopefully, he will authorize me
to open the case and see what is what. Otherwise, I have no choice but to
return the DMM.

Joe Gray
W5JG