[volt-nuts] PCB Artist

John Devereux john at devereux.me.uk
Wed Dec 14 05:27:23 EST 2016

Randy Evans <randyevans2688 at gmail.com> writes:

> KiCad looks very good and I downloaded it to try it out.  However, does
> anyone have a good, low-cost PCB fab house to recommend?  I am designing a
> voltage reference programmable fro 0 to 10 volts with a LTZ1000 reference
> and settabiltiy of 0.1ppm and I need a PCB fabbed.

Hi Randy

To compare prices you can have a look at

http://pcbshopper.com/

I have used Elecrow and also dirtypcbs. Both were excellent. These days
you can get beautiful double sided, PTH boards with solder mask and silk
screen for practically nothing. Cutouts, slots, non-pth holes, choice of
solder mask colours available for free.

The going rate starts at $10 for 10pcs 50x50mm. Practically free
shipping if you can wait, otherwise ~$25 for DHL etc.

The low prices are achieved by pooling many peoples designs onto one
production panel. So there is usually one price if your board is less
than 50x50mm, then the next price if it is less than 100x100mm.

(I threw out my bubble tank after not using it for 10 years...)

John

> Thanks,
>
> Randy Evans AE6YG
>
> On Tue, Dec 13, 2016 at 5:22 AM, Herbert Poetzl <herbert at 13thfloor.at>
> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 04:39:36PM -0800, Randy Evans wrote:
>> > Does anyone have experience with PCBArtist?
>>
>> Sorry, no PCBArtist experience here.
>>
>> > It looks pretty good for 2-layer board up to 60
>> > in^2 for $33 but I have no experience with it.
>>
>> > I was looking at Eagle PCB but it's pretty expensive
>> > for a 4-layer capability version.
>>
>> A litte apples and oranges here :)
>>
>> The Eagle Light version can be used for free for
>> non-profit purposes and works for up to 4x3.2inch
>> with two layers.
>>
>> If you don't have any personal preference, then
>> KiCad is definitely the way to go. It has improved
>> dramatically since it got the CERN treatment and
>> doesn't cost a cent regardless of size and layers.
>>
>> Best,
>> Herbert
>>
>> > Thanks,
>>
>> > Randy Evans AE6YG