[time-nuts] Spectracom 8170 -> SWCC clock

Don Latham djl at montana.com
Sun Jan 22 20:56:04 UTC 2012

NICE!
Measure the resistance of the coil, and see what the current would be
with the voltage you want to use. Figure out what the current might have
been in the original installation. Ebay has an installation manual at
auction for these clocks, may have a description of the driving circuit.
In extremis, measure or estimate the coil wire size and calculate the
heat loss for the actuated time with the voltage you want to use.
Don

Jim Hickstein
> On 2012/01/22 13:58, Jim Hickstein wrote:
>> On 1/22/12 1:56 PM, paul swed wrote:
>>> Yahoo for real voltage power and current. Teletype style.
>>> Yes indeed the old loop currents seriously worked.
>>> No AA batteries here. ;-)
>
> How far will I get with my 3 D cells?  They make it wind nicely, but
> I've been
> afraid to try 6V, having read somewhere (probably Brooke's pages) not to
> exceed
> 3V lest one damage something.  Then again, that's the local battery, not
> the
> setting signal.  (No. 6 dry cell?  Dear me, I hadn't even thought of one
> of
> those for 40 years.)
>
>>> When will we see a pix of this unit??
>>
>> It's my day off. :-)
>
> Then again, what's a day off for, if not this kind of thing?
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/jxh1/tags/clock/
>
> Brooke Clarke's pix are nice, but I think I have the nicest SWCC clock
> out
> there, one of the nicest I've seen.  Coincidentally, I bought it in
> about 1986
> from a fellow named Clark (last name I don't recall), who was a member
> of the
> Minnesota horological society, or whatever it's called.  A friend of
> mine,
> another member, put me on to this, and I jumped at it.  (Actually, he
> has an
> even nicer one, a big Air Force unit IIRC that's about 6 feet tall, and
> with a
> mercury pendulum bob.)  Took the thing back home to California, and it
> came with
> me when I moved back to Minnesota in 2003.  It's been the primary time
> display
> in my house since I got it.  I also still keep the Textronix carton I
> scrounged,
> that's a perfect fit, for moving it.
>
> -Jim
> K6JXH/0

"Neither the voice of authority nor the weight of reason and argument
are as significant as experiment, for thence comes quiet to the mind."
R. Bacon
"If you don't know what it is, don't poke it."
Ghost in the Shell

Dr. Don Latham AJ7LL
Six Mile Systems LLP
17850 Six Mile Road