[time-nuts] 1 pps Accuracy in two locations

Mike Ingle finndmike62 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 4 15:04:28 UTC 2019

Hi Martyn,

I think a few 10s of ps 1sigma error on the 1pps output should be
achievable.   If for example the Rb was free running, and had for example a
100MHz (instead of 10MHz) output, it is not too difficult to measure the
PPS arrival time of the GNSS PPS down a 10ps uncertainty relative to the Rb
reference.  Doing this over a long interval, and fitting the history,one
should be able to predict when relative to the Rb oscillator the next PPS
should occur. This would be in the form of a clock cycle number and
fraction.  Then you should be able to create the PPS output by delaying the
appropriate cycle by the fraction.  One method would be by using a DAC to
control the threshold of something like the ADCMP-580  and creating a ramp
on the other input.  I am 100% certain of the possibility of measuring to
10ps or less, but only theorize the delayed output can be produced,  There
are also delay vernier chips, but I am not familiar off the top of my head.

--mike