[time-nuts] multimeter

Bob Albert bob91343 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 25 01:12:35 UTC 2019

 That is not unusual.  Back then, all VOMs and most VTVMs pumped substantial current through the unknown.  When I became aware of that I started paying closer attention to how measurements were made.
In general, 100 mA is typical short circuit current on low Ohms range.  Some, such as the Triplett 630, go even higher.  (I suggest you measure the short circuit current on low Ohms range on your most-used meter before you burn out somehting.)
So you are right to caution people to avoid thinking of test gear as magic boxes.
Another thing that came to my attention is the fact that the current through the unknown will be different for different values ot the unkown.  Not so much a factor with the 410B, but most VOMs rely on batteries and the terminal voltage will change as the unknown value changes, making the calibration poor for low resistance.
For instance, if center scale is 15 Ohms and you short the leads to zero the meter, then measure a 15 Ohm resistor, it will read less than 15 Ohms due to the slight increase in battery voltage at half current.  It gets worse as the battery ages and for higher resistance on that range.  The crowding of calibration at the high resistance end of the scale should not be an invitation to estimate high resistance either, since the mechanical meter zero becomes a factor.  Pointer 'stiction' can cause errors as well.
Bob