[time-nuts] GPS Antennas

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Fri Sep 6 23:57:50 UTC 2019

kb8tq at n1k.org said:
> The gotcha with putting anything on top of a GPS antenna is that it impacts
> the phase  shift from the sat’s. How important that is gets quickly into just
> how picky you happen to be.

How picky do I have to be before that is significant?  How geeky would I have
to be to measure it?

Would a hemispherical cover provide equal delays at all elevations?  I think
the solidly mounted USGS fault/volcano monitoring setups have a round top.
  https://www.usgs.gov/media/images/gps-tracks-ground-deformation

Do any antenna manufacturers advertise uniform phase delay?
Do any software vendors advertise that their software works better with
specific antennas?

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.