[time-nuts] GPS Antennas

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat Sep 7 00:54:09 UTC 2019

Hi

Based on the papers I have seen, there is no “magic” shape that can be ignored.
Part of the issue is that the cover is going to be in the near field of the antenna.
As noted in another post, the impact is more complex than a simple delay. ( consider
that signals bounce off the cover material …. ).

Also consider that if I’m going to 3D print the device, I have a limited number of
materials available. Teflon isn’t going to run through a 3D printer. Unless you paint
the gizmo it will not be water tight so humidity will get into the act as well.

=====

A “good” GPS antenna should have roughly the same phase center regardless of
the angle to the sat it’s receiving. Indeed GPS antennas in general get this right.
There is a modest variation with angle, but it’s not all that great. Units of mm are not
uncommon. It will be greater on a multi band design. The impact of your cover also
will be greater on a multi band device. All the various delay /. loss / reflection parameters
are frequency dependent…..

Bob