[time-nuts] - LightSquared is back now called Ligado

Eric Scace eric at scace.org
Sat Apr 18 17:04:42 UTC 2020

   Caveat: I have not personally read LightSquared’s final filings with the FCC nor the staff recommendations to the commissioners. I’m relying on the assertions written in this thread for now.

   If one feels strongly that, based on the facts on record, the approval by the FCC will have all the harmful effects described in previous messages on this thread, a few courses of action would nominally have a chance of changing the situation:

   a) Get your congressional Representative and Senators' staffs involved. Having been a Federal civil service employee at NIST for a few years, I know that few things get one’s attention more quickly than an inquiry from a member of Congress’ staff. Defending the viability of constituents’ investments in their car and phone navigation systems sounds like an easy voter-oriented issue, just for start…

   b) If you work for/with companies whose products will be impaired by LightSquared’s service, or their industry associations, it’s time to bring their legal staff and (if they have one) legislative relations group up to speed.

   c) If your employer is a customer of those companies — and the products/services your company has purchased will likely no longer work properly once LightSquared goes on-air — it’s time to start informing your supplier(s) about this situation and asking them to take action.

   I’m sure some readers will be rolling their eyes at this 7th grade civics-level message. But any of (a), (b), or (c) above will have a far better chance of generating a successful petition for reconsideration at the FCC, an injunction in Federal court, and/or legislative intervention than continued emails here.

   Personally, I don’t work for a company that falls into (b) or (c). But I’ll be reading those FCC documents because this sounds more important than fidgeting in my time lab this weekend, and then talking to my people in Congress.

   What about you?

— Eric