[time-nuts] GPS antenna splitter recommendation?

Larry McDavid lmcdavid at lmceng.com
Thu Apr 30 08:13:26 UTC 2020

Frank, I'm using a GPS Source S14WI 4-way GPS splitter. Mine has options
for 20 dB amplification, Bias Select (how power is passed back to the
antenna), Antenna Monitor and N Female connectors. These are very
rugged, sealed units. They turn up on eBay from time to time; I was
fortunate to find several offered as New Old Stock. I will attach (I
hope) a data sheet.

Any splitter without amplification will have reduced antenna signal to
each output. If you will have a long coax run from the antenna to the
splitter as I do, use of an amplified spiltter will prevent further loss
within the splitter.

I also have a Symmetricon 58517A 8-way GPS splitter. This model has a
unity gain amplifier ahead of the splitter so the gain to each output is
specified as ±4 dB. A data sheet is attached. These also turn up on eBay.

Passive splitters offered on eBay are sometimes not GPS splitters but
passive satellite TV splitters. If the price is low, suspect a satellite
TV splitter. These also typically have poor isolation port-to-port.

My GPS antenna is located atop my roof, in the clear with
horizon-to-horizon view and fed with 5/8-inch Heliax flexible hard line
down to the splitter.

Four-way splitters are likely most common, with 8-way next. I've never
seen a 3-way splitter.

Larry

--
Best wishes,

Larry McDavid W6FUB
Anaheim, California  (SE of Los Angeles, near Disneyland)