[time-nuts] GPS antenna splitter recommendation?

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Thu Apr 30 12:33:48 UTC 2020

Hi

Pretty much all the Mini Circuits splitters will pass DC. The only ones that
don’t are the ones that show “goes to DC” on the data sheet. Those are
resistive splitters. I’ve run thousands of GPS modules through a lot of different
Mini Circuit splitters. None of the “right”. ones have ever had a problem passing
DC (or failed in any way).

DC blocking ports is generally a good idea. You can get “cable TV” dc blocks
for <. $1 each. They have F connectors on them so total cost to get to SMA
is more than $1. For a large splitter setup ( like say 64 ports … ummm … errr …)
that can be a lot of DC blocks.

I tend to block all DC to the splitter and feed the antenna from a bias tee. They
also are pretty cheap. It eliminates a “single point of failure” when the device that
does pass DC gets unplugged. ( Actually it just moves to the bias supply wall wart.
Practically the failure goes away).  The bias tee approach also provides a very tiny
improvement in lightning immunity. (you loose a 5V wall wart and not a GPSDO).

=======

Devices with gain generally also have filters in them. We now are in a world that
has cheap multi GNSS / multi band modules in it. Both are already in production
GPSDO’s. None of the filtered amps will pass multi band GPS / GNSS. Many of them
are sharp enough to take out Glonass based mulit-GNSS.

Does this matter if your splitter is a $30 (delivered) sort of unit? Maybe not. It’s
all worth considering before you move up into the “hundreds of dollars” range.

Bob