[time-nuts] questions about oscilloquartz 10MHz module

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.se
Sun Feb 2 11:31:52 UTC 2020

Hi Jeffrey,

On 2020-02-02 01:50, Jeffrey Pawlan wrote:
> I along with many others have purchased a couple of the OSCILLOQUARTZ
> 8663-XS 10MHz oscillator.  The ebay ad claims it is double oven but
> the only datatsheet I could find is for a generic 8663.  Does anyone
> know the actual definition of the XS version?

With Oscilloquartz, the single-oven or double-oven aspect is due to the
model and not the option of the model, and while refreshing my memory I
found this in the archives:

https://time-nuts.febo.narkive.com/TJAFb6bm/osa-4530-low-noise-gpsdo

where I 7 years ago state it to be a double-oven, even if the option
string is 8663-B6SG, which matches the new datasheet.

> It is unclear whether the ones we are buying are the regular
> phasenoise or if they are the enhanced noise? Have any  of you run a
> phase noise test of this model?

I should run phase-noise measurement on one of these, thanks for
reminding me. I just don't recall where my set of them is.

According to the data-sheet I have, there is no phase-noise option on
these, but aging option exists, which is for the linear drift.

> Other than smaller size and 12v operation, is this model as good as
> the HP10811 double oven in my Z3801?

For certain not if you just drop it in, they do not have the exact same
performance. Without having actually A/B measured, from what I expect
the 10811 has a lower phase-noise, it will be a benefit as tau goes up
from 1 s to say 100 s at which I expect environment can start mess with
stability and also the lock. The exact point vary. The PLL needs to be
trimmed for the oscillator at hand, and only as you trimmed it up it's
meaningful to discuss "as good", "worse" or "better". Also, it depends
on the application.

Maybe I should fire up the OSA 4530 and measure it.

My Z3801 is currently toast. The PSU is broken as I recall it.

Cheers,
Magnus