[time-nuts] Odd-order multiplication of CMOS-output OCXO

Mark Haun mark at hau.nz
Wed Jan 22 00:05:30 UTC 2020

On Wed, 22 Jan 2020 00:30:12 +0100
Magnus Danielson <magnus at rubidium.se> wrote:
> > What are the adverse consequences of using large divisors in the
> > loop, as would be required for my odd OCXO frequency?  E.g. on
> > paper, it would seem that I could use 80 MHz / 625 = 16.384 MHz /
> > 128 = 128 kHz PFD frequency.  How would this differ from a more
> > "normal" ref clock frequency of 10 or 16 MHz with smaller divisors?
>
> From my experience, such factors and rate of phase comparator is
> relatively easy to work with and get to work reasonably well for most
> purposes. I recommend you to use a PI-loop.
>
> For a step-up you want to keep the PLL bandwidth fairly large, and
> that helps making it easy.

Why is this?  In my primitive understanding, the loop bandwidth sets the
point where the phase-noise characteristics of the reference and the
VCO are "glued together."  Because my VCXO has good phase noise, and
lacks only stability (say 0.1 to 1 sec and longer), I would have
thought I would want a small bandwidth---basically I want to preserve
the phase-noise characteristics but keep it from drifting.

I know ADI has a nice tool for PLL design; I'll check it out.

Regards,
Mark