[time-nuts] Odd-order multiplication of CMOS-output OCXO

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.se
Wed Jan 22 01:21:40 UTC 2020

Hi,

On 2020-01-22 01:05, Mark Haun wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Jan 2020 00:30:12 +0100
> Magnus Danielson <magnus at rubidium.se> wrote:
>>> What are the adverse consequences of using large divisors in the
>>> loop, as would be required for my odd OCXO frequency?  E.g. on
>>> paper, it would seem that I could use 80 MHz / 625 = 16.384 MHz /
>>> 128 = 128 kHz PFD frequency.  How would this differ from a more
>>> "normal" ref clock frequency of 10 or 16 MHz with smaller divisors?
>> From my experience, such factors and rate of phase comparator is
>> relatively easy to work with and get to work reasonably well for most
>> purposes. I recommend you to use a PI-loop.
>>
>> For a step-up you want to keep the PLL bandwidth fairly large, and
>> that helps making it easy.
> Why is this?  In my primitive understanding, the loop bandwidth sets the
> point where the phase-noise characteristics of the reference and the
> VCO are "glued together."  Because my VCXO has good phase noise, and
> lacks only stability (say 0.1 to 1 sec and longer), I would have
> thought I would want a small bandwidth---basically I want to preserve
> the phase-noise characteristics but keep it from drifting.

With higher bandwidth, it follows the reference tighter. Consider that
the bandwidth of the PLL is related to the time-constant for it to react
to both the reference and the steered oscillator, and it will low-pass
filter the reference and high-pass filter the steered oscillator, and
higher bandwidth thus suppress more variations of the steered
oscillator, relaxing thermal issues for instance.

If you have a loop filter being a low-pass filter rather than PI-loop,
then you also get better lock-range, quicker lock-in and smaller
phase-errors due to thermal effects or oscillator differences. For a
PI-loop you essentially remove it from being an issue anyway and you can
focus your bandwidth on phase-noise considerations, but the high-pass
vs. low-pass balance remains an issue for compromise.

For step-up PLLs, you typically wants a high bandwidth to keep tight
phase with the reference, but for a clean-up PLL you want a low
bandwidth to filter out as much noise from the reference.

As you compare the phase-noise of the reference and steered oscillator,
as compared on the same frequency, the optimum bandwidth is usually
where they cross each other. This assumes that you actually considered
all the variations.

Cheers,
Magnus