[time-nuts] weird Raspberry PPS+GPS NTP server behaviour

Adam Kumiszcza akumiszcza at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 19:30:23 UTC 2020

On Mon, Mar 2, 2020 at 7:58 PM David J Taylor via time-nuts <
time-nuts at lists.febo.com> wrote:

> It's ~65°C on purpose. I'm using ntpheat (
> https://blog.ntpsec.org/2017/02/01/heat-it-up.html) to keep stable
> temperature no matter what it does. It turns my raspberry into kind of OCXO
> :)
> Anyway, ntpheat runs there for months, so I guess it's not the culprit.
>
> Cheers,
> Adam
>
> Agreed, if it was running before then it's not the culprit this time.
>
> I didn't know about that program and I'd like to try it here.  A neat
> idea.
> Is it available stand-alone - ready to run?  I could compile it here given
> the source, but not if it has dozens of dependencies on NTPsec, which I
> don't use.
>
> Temperature is certainly the prime contributor to instability here (or
> temperature variations produced by CPU load variations).
>
> Cheers,
> David

The source code is here:
https://github.com/ntpsec/ntpsec/blob/master/contrib/ntpheat

It imports ntp.util. But from my rudimentary knowledge of Python I see that
it only uses it to get version number. So I think removing lines 24-29 and
51-53 should make it work without ntpsec.

Cheers,
Adam