[time-nuts] Symmetricom analog network clocks.

djl djl at montana.com
Fri Mar 27 04:20:05 UTC 2020

They're an NTS client driving a motorized second hand and set of wheels
for minute and hour. IMHO it seems that somebody slipped up on the motor
specs/purchase.  It might be amusing to use the electronics with a
better drive motor and an even more classy going train...otoh there are
other projects. The  software that came with the clock should work to
set it.
Don

On 2020-03-26 05:09, Peter Reilley wrote:
> I didn't know that there was such a thing as an analog IP clock.
> Now it is on my "gotta have" list.
>
> Pete.
>
> On 3/26/2020 3:22 AM, Bob Darlington wrote:
>> I ended up throwing all three of mine away.  None worked right.
>> Bought
>> two, did an RMA for one and the new one was broken and was told to
>> keep it,
>> and they had no more stock.   It felt good to get rid of the junk that
>> didn't work.  It was a shame because they looked really nice.  They
>> simply
>> did not work.
>>
>> -Bob
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 7:30 PM djl <djl at montana.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Some years ago, symmetricom sold out some analog network clocks. Last
>>> winter, both of mine froze up and would not adjust. Being naturally
>>> curious, I opened one up, and found the motor and wheels that drive
>>> the
>>> hands. Knowing that this type of motor has problems, I simply
>>> unplugged
>>> it and manually forced the going train and the motor on each clock to
>>> turn in both directions(use your thumb.) After all, it was no good as
>>> is. I guess the grease was redistributed, as both clocks now function
>>> properly. They do have to be set using the software sort of often,