[time-nuts] Re: 1 pps

Andy Talbot andy.g4jnt at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 14:07:36 UTC 2021

You seem to have gone to extraordinary lengths to trap out each unwanted
product, yet  the final spectrum shows only -50dBc products.   That seems a
poor return for that effort in filter design.

I made a 5MHz doubler plus distribution for my HP5061. You can see the
design at http://g4jnt.com/10MHzDist.pdf  The doubler is a full wave
rectifier and the filter a three section top capacitor coupled LC
resonator.    I achieved better than -80dBc rejection of the 5MHz
fundamental and something like  -75dB at 15MHz but this far down,
measurement is quite a challenge.

For most practical purposes these levels are more than adequate, but I do
sometimes directly multiply up to 10GHz or higher, using this 10MHz source
as the reference input to a PLL synthesizer.   I think I've seen evidence
that even -80dBc at 5MHz can introduce spurii at this level of
multiplication, so really ought to be aiming at -100dBc - but that woul dbe
impossible to measure with any test equipment I have.   Even seeing -80dBc
was a challenge.

Andy
www.g4jnt.com