[time-nuts] Trimble Thunderbolt Error

Chris Hastreiter chastreiter at gmail.com
Sat Oct 15 15:41:22 UTC 2022

Hi,

I have a trimble thunderbolt of 2005 vintage that just started going into
an infinite reboot loop with the following error spitting out in tboltmon
on every reboot:

Application Fatal Error:
FATAL ERROR ID=0x00000000; CODE=0xE0000009

Does anyone have experience with this problem or have ideas on what to look
for?  I've checked supplies on the +12/-12/+5V from the power supply board
to the main board and everything looks good.

The +5V is drawing about 200mA
+12 is ~700mA during warmup and dropping to ~180mA when warm
-12V is drawing ~2.5mA

The 10MHz out is putting out a clean sine wave that is about 0.75Hz high
and is unaffected by the reboot cycle.

The 1PPS output is providing a pulse whenever the unit is running and stops
providing pulses during the reboot.

The unit is rebooting every 5 to 15 seconds.  I've attached a screenshot of
the status reported by tboltmon when the unit is up between reboots.  Prior
to this happening this unit was happily locked to satellites and
disciplining normally.  I didn't have an antenna attached for this
screenshot which is why it's reporting an antenna open condition, but
connecting the antenna does not affect the reboot cycle.

I appreciate any suggestions you may have.

Thanks,

Chris